2008年4月20日 星期日

Queensland / Brisbane / Bundaberg

Today, 20th/April/2008, Sunday, the 220th day in AU, The weather in Bundaberg is sunny.

My Taiwanese friend Jacky (We met in the Plunkett in Victoria for apple and pears picking job) introduced me to come to Queensland for picking job. I left Victoria and arrived Queensland in 12th April by airplane. Since I arrived Brisbane, I spent too much money in trasportation. From Melbourne to Bundaberg, The transportation I got on were bus / airplane / train...feel so sad. Spent almost 240 AUD...

In 12th / April, I arrived in Brisbane. But I don't stay there too much time. Passed Brisbane only. Coz I need new farm job. There are a lot of farm jobs in Bandaberg. Many Backpackers know this place. While I arrived Bundaberg, I met many backpackers just like me. But I arrived on Saturday evening. I couldn't find any available hostel I am able to register. Thanks to Jacky, he offered me his bed and invited me to bistro. We had a drink and happy time.

13th April, got up early to look for an available room, I was lucky, A hostel named "Bundaberg backpackers" had an available bed, so I registered and checked in. There are many European backpackers in this hostel. Including Canadian / English / French / German / Japanese / Korean / Norwegian......but I was the only one Taiwanese guy at that time. The owner of the hostel is not friendly. No one likes him. He always keeps his serious face all the time. He had warned me something I can't do or he is going to kick me out before I entered my room.

After I came into the room, only 1 Korean guy was in the room. About 1 hour later, An Italian girl came into this room. Her name is Christina. We introduced each other. That's very funny. Beacause my English name is Chris. Few hours later, 2 Italian guys entered this room. They are Luca and Daniel. We introduced each other and had some talks. They talked about their jobs. It's not good that they were working in the lemon orchard. The worst job in all orchards. There are much dangerous needles in lemon trees. I heard this job before. Then they showed their arms to me. At that time I realized that lemon picking is a bad job. Christina was lucky. She picked tomato. Suddenly I wanted to know what kind of job I got, I went to the reception to ask. The hostess told me I worked in zucchini farm. 2.2 AUD per bucket.

My room was next to the kitchen. I could't sleep well at my first night. I kept saying "Oh!! my God!!" at that night. It was very noisy. I think I slept only 4 hours at that night.

14th / April, got up early morning at 4:00 AM. After the breakfast, I got on the van to picking zucchini. That's my first day picking zucchini. Comparing with the others people. I was slow and made only 40 buckets. A Japanese guy who named Koji, He has working in the zucchini farm 1 month. He made 100 buckets. Some European girls made over 60 buckets...This is the first time I realized I can't look down on European girls. They picked quickly with their strong mind.

15th / April, I had a day off and changed my picking job to capsicum picking. I went to Bundaberg library. Christina told me I could have 5 AUD pizza on Tuesday in every pizza store in Bundaberg. That's definite I ate pizza for my dinner with Jacky and 2 Jananese guys.

16th / April. Picking capsicum with many caucasian guys. It's also first day to pick capsicum. I only made 50 buckets. But the supervisor said it's not bad in the 1st day. This is not good payment job and tough job. Many people don't want to work in picking capsicum and requested changing job. It's 1 AUD per bucket. So you can realize I just made 50 AUD in my first day.

17th / April. Picking capsicum and made 51 buckets only. Many people wanted to change job. I alst wanted to change and kept thinking I'm unlucky that I worked in picking capsicum. There were only 1 Japanese girl working in picking capsicum. But she changed her job in the next day.

18th / April. Picking capsicum and made 65 buckets. I got improved. But I heard 3 Aussie middle aged men. They made at least 200 buckets per day...everybody thinks they are not humanity. A strong mind German girl made 87 buckets and a German guy made 82 buckets at this day. Now I know I have to improve more and realized German and Korean are most quick in many farms. Many people agree this viewpoint.

19th / April. Picking capsicum. Today I picked very hard and made 110 buckets. Don't think I am quick picker. Coz the 3 Aussie men made 300 buckets per person...After the picking at 12:00 PM. Many people watched the Japanese movie "Battle and royale". The bloody and funny movie. Many people said this is an excellent movie.

In the evening. I had a dinner with my Italian roommates. We drank beer and wine and ate chips. They would leave Bundaberg tomorrow. Time to drink. We can drink on Saturday night only. This is the rule in our hostel. Some hostels prohibit drinking alcohol everyday.

20th April. Day off. The 3 Italian roommates left. I had a farewell and said bye-bye to time in the morning at 11:00. Although we were together only 1 week. I think we had a good time in this hostel.

2 則留言:

匿名 提到...

tough capsicum!

Chris Yeh 提到...

tough German and Korean