2009年4月18日 星期六

The outback of Australia(1)

Today is 18th/April 2009, Saturday. Day 582 in Oz. The weather is sunny and sultry in Darwin, which is the capital of Northern Territory and located on the top of this big nation.

10th/April. The route is from Port Augusta to Coober Pedy. I had already changed one of my tyre of my car before I drove away Adelaide, which the city I just travelled 3 days only. Many people said Adelaide is not so special. Yes!! It isn't so special and unique, but I want to visit and travel all the states and capitals in Australia. South Australia has been plagued by water shortage for long period of the time. Most people who live in South Australia dwell in Adelaide mostly. Most places can't be provided water enough in SA.

I kept going to the inside of SA. The scenery got bleak little by little. The temprature got more and more high. This abnormally special views is absolutely unprecedented in my life. Red sand and uncounted bushes are by the side of Stuart Hwy, which is the main road between Adelaide and Darwin. It is not like the desert view I stereotyped previously.


Driving on the long highway made me feel drowsy. You can try to imagine the situations I've experienced. The worse thing is I'm the only one driver in this trip. I could not feel drowsy and yawn, otherwise this car would be ruined and I am not able to be alive anymore.

Finally I still arrived Coober Pedy safely. According to Lonely Planet, it is a famous mineral town and attracted a lot of people who were obsessed to be millionaire immidiately. But many people can't find out any opals for years even decades. Why did I choose this small town to rest tonight? Digging out opals? No, basically this town has not many attracted points. I just know I can see underground things in the town. Underground hostels / Underground church / Underground book store(or, perhaps, underground corpses?). So I made a reservation for underground hostel to stay one night for sure.

The outside of this hostel - Radeka

The climate of Coober Pedy belongs to sub-desert area. It also has extreme weather. This abnormally bleak views let you think you're in the end of the world. After I left Port Augusta, I couldn't have cheap petrol until I left the outback. But I had no choice and must fill it. I also realized many smelly aboriginals lying on the ground in this town. They're kind to tourists, but I think most people don't like to approach them due to their smelly body. They seldom shower to keep them tidy.

This is the view of the underground hostel. I felt so special and excited that I stayed here one night. Hereby I post photos about this hostel for everybody.

My Room

This room is not good for your privacy. No door is in front of the room.

沒有留言: